Meet Dr Shashi Tharoor, Congress Candidate from Trivandum Lok Sabha Constituency
I must say I am feeling proud to be born in
What makes him stand out from others? It may be the first time (after K R Narayanan, former President of India) that a man who has been internationally acclaimed as a diplomat and writer at such an age is contesting a parliamentary election. Let us see the accomplishment of Dr Tharoor who was born on 9th March 1956.
- PhD from The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University, Massachusetts at the age of 22, where he received the Robert B. Stewart Prize for Best Student. He also has two Master’s degrees from the same school.
- At Fletcher, Dr Tharoor helped found and was the first Editor of the Fletcher Forum of International Affairs, a journal now in its 31st year.
- Worked with UN High Commissioner for Refugees heading its
- Coordinated the peace keeping operations in the former
Yugoslaviaas a senior official at the United Nations Headquarters in from 1989 to 1996. New York
- Worked as Executive Assistant to UN Secretary General Kofi Annan from 1997 to 98.
- Worked as interim head of the Department of Public Information from January 2001 to June 2002 and as Under Secretary for Communication and Public Information till 2003.
- Worked as UN Under Secretary General till he resigned on February 9th, 2007.
’s candidate for UN Secretary General and came second to the present UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon. India
- In just 23 years he rose to the highest possible rank in UN as that of Under-Secretary-General.
The above work is sufficient for a common man to keep himself busy. But Dr Tharoor even with his busy schedule had time to write nine books and wrote hundreds of articles, book reviews in wide range of publications that include Time,
He is not only an efficient administrator and a writer but also a great orator. As a student he used to win all the debate competitions around. Here is a video of Dr Tharoor in a function in US talking about the unique levels of pluralism evident in Indian culture and government. See how elegantly, strongly and in simple language – the qualities required for a great orator – he put across his views.
Another video of Dr Tharoor. Here he examines worldwide interest in the U.S. 2008 Presidential elections, and discusses the global ramifications of an Obama Presidency in a speech he delivered in Fall of last year before Obama won his election.
Now that he decided to contest the elections what are his chances to win? The selection of an “outsider”, as local party leaders call Dr Tharoor, has not gone well with the Congress leaders. Even when his name was going rounds as a potential candidate few local Youth Congress leaders burned his effigy in front of the state Congress office. Now that Dr Tharoor has got the nomination from Congress High Command, he has his job cut out. He has to gather all his organizational skills he learned and practiced in the UN to bring all the local Congress supporters to work for him. With the talent Dr Tharoor possesses I am sure he will be able to do it.
Humble request to all the voters of Trivandrum – Let us forget all differences – differences based on religion, caste, political ideology, social status and work together for the victory of Dr Shashi Tharoor. We have sent “practicing politicians” to the parliament for the last sixty years. Let us give this genius a chance and see how he performs.
Visit Dr Shashi Tharoor's website for his election campaign in Trivandrum